Thursday, August 02, 2007

Missions Committee Devotional by Tom Caouette

A few weeks ago I was cleaning some fish we caught that morning when one of them flipped over and poked his fin in the palm of my hand. Cuts scrapes and pokes are nothing out of the ordinary when working with fish but this puncture wound would not heal even after three weeks. Soaking and ointments did not seem to do any good and I tried to justify the slow healing process by thinking a puncture wound is much slower to heal than a scratch. After three weeks I noticed what seemed to be a scab over the wound. After closer investigation I pulled out a fin bone about 3/8 inches long that had penetrated straight into my hand and broke off. The very next day after I pulled out the bone the wound was healed over.

This experience made me think of the trouble many people have with unrepentant sin in their lives. Just like God keeps our physical bodies from healing with foreign objects penetrating them, he also keeps our spiritual bodies from healing with unrepentant sin.

1 John 1:8-10 says; If we claim to be without sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

How are things with you today? The Apostle Paul said, "A man ought to examine himself…" Are there things in your life that are not healing due to your spiritual condition? Let's not deceive ourselves in this area.

I was at work the day I found the bone in my hand so I taped it to my desk as a reminder of the healing nature of God in our lives. I pray you too will be healed in God's forgiveness.

Note: Tom Caouette is the chairman of the World Missions Committee.