Monday, July 28, 2008

Freedom for the Captives

William    Yesterday afternoon I received a phone call from William, our pastor here in Jinja (on the left in the picture).  He works as a teacher at a Secondary School here in Jinja.  "Are you in town?" he asked me.
    "Yes," I replied.
    "Two of our students have been attacked by the demons."
    "Should I come there?"
    "Yes."
    I found myself on the way to help two student who had been "attacked by the demons."  I was a representative of the Kingdom of Light who had been called to come and help two who were prisoners of Darkness.  I know that the Bible says that all authority in heaven and earth has been given to Jesus and that in the name of Jesus, His followers also cast out demons.  But this was real life!  This is 2008!  I will admit being a bit nervous as I stepped through the gate onto the campus.
    I was directed to a building that was being used as a girls dormitory.  I'm guessing there were about 25 bunk beds in the room.  I saw a crowd of about twenty people in a circle.  As I approached, I saw a girl who was maybe 16 years old writhing on the ground.  I had never before seen a person completely out of control and not in his right mind.  It was quite similar to how it is described in the Bible in Luke 9:42, "Even while the boy was coming, the demon threw him to the ground in a convulsion." 
    Before I arrived the demon had been speaking through the girl and saying many terrible things.  The demon said that he had sent the girl to that school to kill another one of the students and to make another one go mad.  She had been sent to poison another.  The demon said there was witchcraft hidden on the school grounds in three locations.  The demon in the second girl (who had already been delivered by the time I arrived) had said that he was going to kill the girl herself.
    I stood there for several minutes taking in what was before me.  Pastor William was standing over the girl with one foot on either side of her waist to keep her somewhat steady, but her whole body was convulsing.  Some of the other believing students had gathered around her and were praying at the top of their voices demanding the demon to go.  They had been there for over two hours.  "What should I do?" I wondered.  I just began to pray out loud, but quietly.  "Holy Spirit of God, please come and fill this place.  I command all powers of darkness to leave this place in the Name of Jesus."  The demon left.  The girl sat up.  She was Sharon again.  Her friends hugged her.  Others began challenging the students to live prayerful lives and to accept Christ.
    I had a chance to speak to the students gathered around, and to Sharon.  I told them the story of how Jesus cast out the demon from the boy in Luke 9.  I encouraged them to believe in Jesus and repent of their sins.  I led them in a prayer of cleansing over the dormitory and the whole campus.  It was a powerful moment as the situation had made hard hearts ready to listen.
    Thank you so much for your prayers!  The Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost!

Nate

p.s. The family is doing very well.  We hope to get a prayer letter out next week with more updates.