Tuesday, July 19, 2011

News from Curitiba

This is an update and some prayer requests from Erlend Straume, an AFLTS graduate and missions volunteer in Brazil:

Language study is going forward. I have finished my first semester of Basic 1 Portuguese and am now half way through an intensive 3 weeks Basic 2 class. I feel that I am a slow language learner, but I understand more and more, and am able to speak more with the locals, so I seem to be  going in the right direction.

I have now started looking for job opportunities for next year that may be combined with ministry here. I have contacted the Norwegian oil company Statoil. They have a position in Stavanger, Norway where they may be interested in hiring me. This could open for a transfer to their Rio de Janeiro office in a few years. I have also been in contact with "Universidade Tecnológica Federal do Paraná" (UTFPR) here in Curitiba, and they seems to be very interested in my competence.

Prayer requests:
Language study-Pray for patience and progress in the studies.

Job opportunities-Pray that I get a job offer that can be combined with ministry here and that will make me a candidate for permanent visa. Also pray that I make the right desertions if I get several offers.
 
My family in Norway-My father who is 82 years old had a light stroke earlier this year and has some problems with short term memory after this. My mother who is 77 also has some problems with short term memory. Pray that my parents will be able to continue living in their own house and pray for salvation for my father. Also pray for my siblings that they will have understanding for the choices I have made by moving to Curitiba.

John 15:5: "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

In Christ,
Erlend Straume