Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Missions Devotional

The following devotional was written by Scott Erickson:

Romans 3:10,11 “There is none righteous, not even one; there is none who seek for God.”cross-of-christ

Growing up in a loving Christian home we had family devotions regularly. A death of a classmate (9 year old) and his uncle made a big impact in our community and many families. We made some life important changes. Bible camps, bible schools, special meetings, and many more gatherings became of much more importance. I really didn’t grasp it at the time, but as the next few years came and as I grew older more was revealed. One year at bible camp a summer team from the Bible School was doing a skit about Jesus hanging on the Cross. Different individuals would come up and mock Him. It was at this time I truly realized--‘That was me!--doing this to my Lord and Savior.

Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.”

I always had thought highly of myself and seemed to be a very good person. It came easy to justify myself when I could point out others faults and shortcomings. God grabbed a hold of me by using my parents and examples of young believers to point out where I stood. It isn’t about me. It’s all about Him. No more trying to impress others, but instead laying down my sins at His feet and allowing Him to work in my life so He could be seen.

Romans 5:1 “Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through or Lord Jesus Christ.”

narrow-road_crossThe road became narrow and much more difficult. Satan doesn’t like it when someone comes to have a personal relationship with Jesus. Knowing God is in charge is a wonderful thing. He is faithful to be with us through tough and easy times. He keeps His promises in His Word even when I am not faithful. The daily battle can only be victorious when we have a strong personal relationship with Him.

One of my favorite verses is Isaiah 40:31 “Yet those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.”