Monday, December 04, 2006

Encouragement from Jessie

Dear friends,

“What more shall I say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak and Samson and Jephthah, also of David and Samuel and the prophets: who through faith subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in battle, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. Women received their dead raised to life again, And others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, THAT THEY MIGHT RECEIVE A BETTER RESURRECTION. Still others had trials of mockings and scourgings, yes, and of chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two, were tempted, were slain with the sword. They wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented – OF WHOM THE WORLD WAS NOT WORTHY. They wandered in deserts and mountains, in dens and caves of the earth. And all these, having obtained a good testimony through faith, did not receive the promise, God having provided something better for us, that they should not be made perfect apart from us. Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, AND THE SIN WHICH SO EASILY ENSNARES US, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Hebrews 11:32-12:2)

Does that do anything for you?! I’ll be real honest, it makes me want to go out and do something crazy for God!! However, that is not necessarily what you or I are called to. What we are called to, though, is faithfulness. Today, Ben and I taught on Philippians 3:17-21 and had as the theme of the class “The Importance of an Eternal Focus.” I couldn’t help but ask myself, “What is the focus of my life?” Seriously, how shameful is it that people up to the very time in which we live have sacrificed so much for the sake of Jesus and so often I am not even willing to let go of “the sin that so easily ensnares us”?

I want to share a more modern story I recently read of courage, eternal focus, and unshakable faith. I love it. These people are a couple heroes of mine. I will share it basically as I read it. The story is of John Brown who was married to Isabel Weir in 1682 in Scotland. John was a firm Christian, bold in his conviction that Christ was the head of the church rather than the King of England. At the time, this was a less-than-popular position to hold.

Three years after their wedding, on the morning of May 1, 1685, John Graham of Claverhouse arrived with a group of soldiers. Graham gave John Brown an opportunity to repent of his conviction. Brown refused. “Then go to your prayers, for you shall immediately die,” said Graham. Brown prayed, turned to his wife Isabel and said, “You see me summoned to appear, in a few minutes, before the court of heaven, as a witness in our Redeemer’s cause, against the Ruler of Scotland. Are you willing that I should part from you?”

“HEARTILY WILLING,” said Isabel. John took her into his arms, kissed her good-bye, then kissed his baby boy. He knelt down before his two-year-old daughter, kissed her and said, “My sweet child, give your hand to God as your guide; and be your mother’s comfort.” When he rose, his last words were to God: “Blessed be Thou, O Holy Spirit, that speaks more comfort to my heart than the voice of my oppressors can speak terror to my ears!”

Captain Graham of Claverhouse was enraged at John Brown’s godly courage. He ordered six of his soldiers to shoot him where he stood. The soldiers stood motionless, refusing the order. The furious Graham drew his own pistol and shot Brown through the head. With cruelty that is difficult to imagine, he turned to Isabel and asked, “What thinkst thou of thy husband now, woman?” I have always thought well of him,” the widow replied, “but never more than now.”

Whether God calls us to serve Him in a professional setting, a ministry setting, to live for Him or die for Him, may He give each one of us a love for Him and a dedication that would be a testimony to the world that so desperately needs Him.

Thank you for your continued prayers. I just wanted to remind you all that our “citizenship is in heaven” (Philippians 3:21)…so, live like it!

In Christ,

Jesse Long