Monday, December 03, 2007

December Update from Tanzania

A blessed December to you all! Can you believe 2007 is already coming to an end?! Ben and I have not yet nailed down our plans for our Christmas/New Year break but trust that wherever any of us may find ourselves, we will be rejoicing in the true reason for the Christmas season – the birth of Jesus Christ here on earth.

Thank you so much for your continuing part in our ministry here in Tanzania. We continue to feel so blessed to have a part in God’s work in this part of the world but know that it is only possible as we work in concert with you and many other people. In fact, a couple weeks ago, I introduced you to the ministry of ILCT (Iraqw Language and Culture Trust). In this email, I thought I would try to briefly introduce you to another ministry – “Here’s Life”, based out of Arusha, Tanzania.

Our formal acquaintance with “Here’s Life” actually began at the beginning of 2007 when Ben and I “just happened” to be in attendance at an international Sunday morning service held at Arusha Community Church. We often enjoy attending ACC when we are in Arusha simply because of the rare opportunity it provides to participate in an English service complete with English songs, etc. Anyway, the church has no paid pastor but is rather run by a board of lay people who take turns preaching and leading the service.

On this particular Sunday, a man by the name of B.F. Khofield from Mobile, Alabama was preaching. I have to admit that Ben and I have not always been overly impressed by the depth of preaching that takes place at this church. This day, however, was different. B.F. spoke very clearly and powerfully on the authority of the Word and how it is foundational to our effectiveness in the world. After the service, Ben and I introduced ourselves to B.F. and his wife, Jane, and let them know how much we appreciated his message. At that time, they expressed an interest in getting together for a meal sometime so that we could become better acquainted.

Unfortunately, it was not until October 18th (almost 7 months later) that we were finally able to coordinate our schedules and have that dinner. Jane and B.F. were hosting an evening meal for some of their other American ministry partners and invited Ben and I to participate, as well. What a blessing to meet this team of people who are working very hard not only here in Tanzania but also in Kenya, Uganda, Burundi, Congo, Sudan, and Rwanda!! To date, “Here’s Life” has 44 active teams that host film campaigns, offer follow-up for new Christians, train lay church leaders, and help plant churches where needed. They have a contagious passion for their work and have an unwavering commitment to the Word of God.

As I have said before, it never ceases to amaze us how well God can coordinate the different aspects of His work. We were blessed to hear of the foundational work of “Here’s Life” and they were blessed to learn of the further training that Waama is providing for village church leaders.

All of this has been on my mind especially as we have worked our way through chapter 3 in our Philippians class. Recently, I taught a class using Philippians 3:12 as the foundation verse. It says, “Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.” What struck me was that this verse was written by someone who had accomplished a lot of ministry in his life. Paul not only authored many New Testament books but also planted numerous churches and was a key leader in the Early Church. We could ask, “What kept him ‘pressing on’?” “Hadn’t he already accomplished enough?” I believe the answer is found in that very same verse – he knew that God had “laid hold of him” for a specific purpose, a purpose that was not yet complete.

It is no different for each of us. I believe that as long as we have life in our body, we can be sure that God still has work for us to do. Furthermore, as someone once said, “We are invincible until God’s work through us is done.” (I have to say, that quote has had special meaning for me recently each time I climb on my motorcycle.) ☺ The question, for each and every day is, “What does God want to accomplish through my life…starting today?” May we all be faithful in pursuing God’s purpose for our life…to the very end!

In His Service,

Jesse Long

Mbulu, Tanzania