Monday, June 15, 2009

Update on Nate Jore

Jores Dear friends,
I want to thank you so much for your prayers as I have been battling malaria this week.  God has been listening. I am far ahead of normal schedule in my recovery.  Let me share a little of my experience with you since you may be unfamiliar with malaria:

Wed: I first started feeling a bit "off" when I went to bed Tuesday night. I woke up Wednesday a bit more off, but still able to eat and do some things around the house.  I crashed on the couch at 6pm with a fever and was up vomiting later that night.

Thur: I spent Thursday in bed waiting and hoping and praying that I would start improving so I could go as planned to pick up the team the next morning.  I didn't realize it was malaria at this point. I went to the clinic at 4pm to test if I had a bacterial infection. I also got a malaria test, just in case, and it was positive. I took my first dose of malaria meds at 6pm.  Rough night: vomiting, high fever under a blanket followed by periods of sweating.

Fri: In bed the whole day.  Chris, the Ugandan pastor who is working with me in training in Butagaya picked up the team.  The first glimmer of recovery came when I left my room for 15 minutes and sat on the couch at 6pm.

Sat: I was up for 2 hours in the morning and got to meet the team and again send them with Chris for their first training day in Naigobya.  My fever was gone, but then returned half-strength causing me to sleep out the rest of the day.  I was up in the evening for a little while again.  Malaria has the potential to mess with the brain and cause hallucinations.  I experienced this as I rested.  Not fun.  Roughest night with more hallucinations and fitful sleeping.

Sun: Woke up feeling much better.  Ate breakfast after three days without eating.  I was able to participiate with the team and led them in a church service in our living room and some sessions in the afternoon.  Much rest still needed.
Mon: Today I feel almost completely well.  I am still moving slower than normal and my body tells me not to push too hard.  The team has gone for training in Butagaya today and will overnight through tomorrow.  I will be continuing to rest while they are gone. I anticipate feeling much better when they return and able to join them in the remaining events planned for the week.

A missionary friend of mine here in Jinja told me that his first bout of malaria was seven days of sickness followed by seven days of slow recovery.  Others have said that the first is often the worst so I am so thankful to be doing so well so quickly.  I was amazed by all the people Rhoda kept telling me that were praying for me.  Thank you and Praise be to our Great God!  I now have a greater understanding of suffering, though I praise God that it was very brief and did not linger with me.

The team is doing VERY well!  They have been very well prepared by Kevin Olson at AFLC headquarters where they had some training with him before coming.  Sam and Rachel Menge, the team leaders, have been here before and are confident to lead the youth out to the village without us.  Chris has also stepped up on this side and helped us out with transporting the team and hiring vans when I was going to be driving.  Rhoda has been the epitomy of a supportive wife through all this: spending a great amount of time on the phone calling the nurse and friends for medical advice, soliciting prayer support, changing diapers, setting up tripple bunks, spanking Judah, feeding everyone, giving me my next meds, washing dishes...  She had an incredible task of caring for me, the kids, and getting the house ready for the team (much of which was on my list). Some of you mentioned in your emails that you were praying for Rhoda's sanity through this crazy time - thanks! She retained it. :)
As I write, the team is in Butagaya village, about 45 minutes north of here.  They taught the training class this morning and will be visiting in the community in the afternoon.  After sleeping in the village tonight they will be sharing in three schools tomorrow morning before coming back to Jinja.  On Wednesday they will be visiting an orphanage, Thursday will be spent playing soccer and interacting with street boys, and on Friday they will be visiting the Children's Hospital in town to distribute blankets and sweaters, followed by a boat ride on the Nile in the evening. We don't go out to the village again until Saturday and I really hope to be strong enough by then to go with them.

Thank you for your prayers for our family during this time.

We praise God for you!
Nate Jore & family