Sunday, February 13, 2011

Greetings from Erlend Straume

imageDear friends,

I just want to give you an update on how my life is right now. Believe it or not, but I am actually in Brazil and have started to study the Portuguese language. I will start my official Portuguese study at the university here in the end of February.

When I came back to the Seminary last fall I did not know why the Lord had led me to the Seminary or what I should do after I graduated. I thought that the Lord could not use a man like me. But I started on the path to Brazil since that made sense in some way: I was interested in mission, I had felt an inner call or inner desire to serve as a missionary since high school, and I could work as a research scientist in the oil business there. If the Lord did not want me to go in this direction He would stop me, and I was almost certain that I would be stopped. But everything went faster and more smoothly than I expected. I applied at Portuguese study at the University of Curitiba and was accepted. I applied for 12 month student visa, it was authorized and I received it in the mail 3 weeks after I sent the application. I went back to Norway to sell my apartment there. I had a showing of it a Monday evening in the middle of January and the next day 1 pm it was sold for a price more than 10 % higher than the price it was advertised for. I moved out and the evening of the 1st of February I was on my way to Brazil. When I hear stories about other people who wait months and years for visa and are hindered by all kinds of issues, I wonder: Why did the Lord open the doors so wide open for me? The only thing I can do is thank God for what he has done.

This first week here I have heard many strong testimonies from youth who have grown up in broken homes without a father or with a father addicted to alcohol or drugs. Sin has ruined many lives here. I have started thinking that maybe the Lord wants me to serve in the discipleship of men, both young men and men who have ruined their lives with sin. I believe that if the men of a congregation or a society could live their lives in agreement with the Bible, everything will change. If the young men could learn how they should treat the young women, how they should take responsibility for their lives, and how they should avoid addiction to alcohol, drugs or anything else; then they would avoid many sorrows and wounds of sin later in life. But more important; if they get their assurance of salvation through the Word of God and learn seek the Word for their spiritual nourishment every day they will become a pillar in the temple of My God. They will become leaders that have little power in their selves, keep God’s Word and do not deny His Name. This humble biblical attitude towards faith and life in general is foreign for the macho man ideal of this world. However if the men of a church and a community could be changed to follow this Biblical lifestyle, I believe most of the other problems will be solved as a result of this and the Kingdom of God will grow.

I don’t have all the answers on how to do this, or even if this is what I am supposed to do here, but I pray that I could continue following God’s guidance in my life and that doors will be opened where I am supposed to serve.  I hope that you can continue praying for me regularly.

In His service,

Erlend