Friday, July 05, 2013

Wagner Update-Summer 2013

imageWhile training in Ghana and Sierra Leone, we learned that it wasn’t uncommon for people to translate God’s Word on the fly. Josh writes:

I sat on a bench in a small village church near Makeni, where I plan to move my family in October. Vibrant Themne singing surrounded me while I enthusiastically joined the clapping. One day I will understand, then speak, and eventually even sing. When it came to the liturgy reading from Isaiah I couldn’t understand that either. I did notice that the speaker’s words sounded slow and hesitant. I wondered if he had only recently learned to read his language. Being so overwhelmed by the moment I forgot that there isn’t even a Themne Old Testament. That’s why we’re going there! When I zoomed in with my video camera I saw “NIV” on the cover. I later realized that he was actually reading English and translating on the fly into Themne so the congregation could understand.  What an encouragement to see already, that the Themne will use the Bible in their heart language when it is finally available!

Editor’s note:  To read the rest of the Wagner’s newsletter, including a wonderful storytime section and update from Elijah, please go here.