Saturday, January 10, 2009

Paul Abel's January Newsletter

PA Newsletter Early one December morning I found myself reminiscing about my childhood summers at the Dahlin family cabin in WI. I would often get up before the others and head out in the cool of the morning with bucket in hand, looking forward to spending quiet moments in nature with God as I hunted for wild raspberries or blackberries. Several years ago someone gave me a cutting of a blackberry bush from Canada. We planted it along the fence line here in Brazil. The bushes have multiplied, and today they sometimes seem like a nuisance to those who don’t understand the beauty of berry-picking. Sweaty and full of scratches and mosquito bites I persevered in the task of filling my bucket, thinking of the reward of fresh jam and shortcake later in the day.

Missionary work is somewhat like berry-picking. It requires time and attention to find those who are ripe unto harvest. There are sacrifices involved and sometimes wounds are incurred in the process, but the joy of sharing Jesus with others and the hope of enjoying eternal rewards makes the task worth the effort. There are “berries” waiting to be picked by you and me. Let’s get out in the sun and work while there is time. Jesus said, “As long as it is day, we must do the work of Him who sent me. Night is coming when no one can work.”

To read the rest of Abel's newsletter click here.