Sunday, March 28, 2010

MTI in Arizona

image Hola from Arizona!!

First of all thank you for your prayers and support! God has definitely been working, and I am so privileged to be a part of it down here in Mesa.

image A lot has happened since Abby and I started our excursion in February down here to Mesa. We arrived safely after going through a few snow storms, welcomed by very nice warm weather! And it continues to be so, though it has been pretty rainy this winter. We have been kept busy with the different ministries and much fellowship with the congregation. We have been involved with the Kids Club, Youth Group, Children’s Church, ESL child care, Bible Studies, Prayer Warriors, Choir, and other random things that come up. It has been such a good time these past few weeks, though it has not always been easy. God has broken me, molded me, and continues to change my heart. I am so thankful for this time here in the simple fact that I have grown much closer to the Lord, and experienced Him in new ways.

There has been much learning with the Children and Youth in how to run the hours we have with them, but also how we are constantly reminded of the importance of building relationships with them. Many families in the community surround Calvary Free Lutheran are broken. The Kids a very effected, and it shows. One thing I continue to learn is the importance of being rather than doing. I often get stuck in the need to do things constantly – that is just how my mind works. But many times I realize I just need to step back and be with the kids and build that relationship with them. But most importantly I need to be with my Lord.

When Abby and I came down, Debbie Giles started an ESL class for the Spanish families in the community. It has grown to about 12 ladies who come weekly to learn and have fun with Debbie and each other. During that time Abby and I take care of the kids that they bring with them. Until recently, we have had them stay up in the small nursery room in the church. But after putting our heads together we decided since there were so many kids we should go out to the 2nd building, or the Children’s Building, where they have more space and can play outside. It has worked great thus far, and the atmosphere has allowed us to build closer relationships with the kids. They are all so much fun and well behaved!

I have been able to teach for the Kids Club a few times, each time getting better and easier. It is interesting to experiment and see the different ways the kids respond to different techniques. I hadn’t taught before coming here, and I often wish I had started sooner! It is fun, though the kids at Kids Club don’t like to listen very well…well a select few don’t anyway. My prayer is that they would come to know Christ in a personal way. They have the head knowledge; it seems they just haven’t connected it with their heart yet. But God is still working in these kid’s lives, which is exciting to see. We have around 8 kids coming to that each Wednesday.

Youth Group is always a fun time. The age range of the group is 12-13 year olds. Recently we have been teaching them the importance of devotions and how to study the Bible. Abby and I hope to meet with two of the girls to help them study their Bibles and know God more intimately. Please pray for us in this area, that we would find a time that works for all of us.

image Here in Mesa God has been revealing His will continually to me. He is moving in this community and church, and I know He is calling me to be a part of that work. After a hard day of breaking, I finally decided to listen to God’s voice, and am now planning on staying in Mesa until God says to go somewhere else. I will have to return to Minneapolis for a few weeks of classes and other things going on in May, and then I will return to Mesa in the first week of June. I am excited to see what God has in store! I have been helping with the secretary work also, which has kept me busy, and I will possibly be taking over that for a job. It’s awesome how the Lord provides!

My parents were able to make it down here for a few days this past weekend. I also have grandparents here who they stayed with. We were able to do some sight-seeing and talk and hang out. It was good to see them and have them see a glimpse of what is going on down here in Mesa!

Some prayer Requests:

  • School plans for next fall and continued guidance
  • Air conditioner fixed in my car
  • Pat Yard, the lady who keeps us connected with the elementary school in the area – she has been such a blessing, but isn’t saved…yet
  • Unity between Ryan, Brandon, Abby, and I
  • The Children’s Festival and Easter Sunday coming up next week! Wed-Fri we have a Spring VBS (too hot to do it in the summer) and then on Easter Sunday we will have a program with the kids with an egg hunt.
  • The Many snowbirds traveling back home soon
  • That I would have a servant heart daily
  • Progression in Spanish language learning! And patience during that time
  • That God would be glorified!

Thank you all again so much. I would love to hear how things are going for you all as well! It is always an encouragement and uplifter! God Bless you!!

Rachel Johnson