Saturday, January 16, 2010

January in Jerez – Ingrid Giles

Ingrid GilesIt’s cold here  in Jerez, and it’s going to get colder.  On Friday night it’s supposed to get down to 21 degrees!  (Imagine that with no central heating.)  Am I ever thankful for my electric blanket -- and hot water! 

I am continuing to be grateful for God’s provision and protection.  On Saturday I went into the city to watch a movie, and I got on the wrong bus to come home.  (I was told to take a number 17 bus... so I got on a white 17 bus when I should have gotten on a yellow 17.)  It took me to a different town in the opposite direction.  Of course I turned around and went right back in the direction I needed to go, but because of that mistake I no longer had enough money to make it all the way home.  I prayed about it and God gave me peace that He would work it out, and that I just needed to keep moving in the direction of home.  I didn’t know how He would do it -- I thought maybe he’d send some friends along who could offer me a ride or something.  When I finally got on the bus that would take me to Jerez and the cost was almost twice what I had on me, God moved the driver to tell me, “Just give me what you have, and I’ll take you to Jerez.”  I was very grateful!  There’s more.  I could have walked home from the bus station, but it was getting dark and I didn’t feel safe... so I went back to the Schierkolk’s house which was nearby, and it turned out that my brother was bringing their two oldest girls home from Youth Group -- all I had to do was wait for him to bring them and then hop in the van and go home with him!

Here is my prayer list:

Please (requests):

  • Pray for my health and that of my brother and his family. 
  • Ask God to continue to provide Dan and Marcela’s financial needs and also mine. 
  • Please continue to pray for Claudia Gamboa and her kids, especially Karen, the oldest.
  • Pray for Nena and Fernando and their family, especially for full forgiveness and restoration.
  • Pray for Omar’s family.  They haven’t come to church for a while.
  • Pray that God would give me the words and phrases necessary to do the best possible job of translating this Sunday School material so that it will be clear to children from all over the Spanish-speaking world.  Also pray that God would use these lessons to speak to the children and teachers who use them.
  • Pray that God would use me as a Sunday School teacher to guide my students into a closer, stronger relationship with Him.
  • Ask God to guide me in small and large decisions, and to help me to work diligently and spend my time wisely.

Thank you (praise):

  • Abril and Cesar (the young couple who lost a baby girl one year ago) had another baby girl the other day.  She and her mom are both healthy.
  • I have wonderful loving friends and family and I get to spend time with my nieces and nephew every day!
  • God is continuing to provide for our needs.
  • God has continued to protect us all from the “bad guys.”

Sincerely,

Ingrid Giles